This online course is for newly registering childminders (either with Ofsted or with a Childminder Agency).
This course is the first step to take on the path to become a childminder. Our course is accepted by Ofsted and some Childminder Agencies and is recommended by several local authorities.
Although this course is based around the CACHE Award in Preparing to Work in Home Based Childcare (PWHBC) qualification criteria, it does not include this qualification as it is not necessary to become a childminder – this keeps the cost of the course down.
The course includes;
- How to set up a home based childcare setting. This includes:
- Business and financial planning
- Responsibilities of being self-employed
- Setting fees
- Legislation & policy
- Policies & procedures
- Working effectively as a home based childcarer. This includes:
- Successful partnerships with parents
- Dealing with complaints
- Partnership working with other professionals
- Promoting positive behaviour
- Equal opportunities & inclusive practice
- Welcoming children
- How to keep children safe and healthy in a home based childcare setting. This includes:
- Health & safety legislation
- Safe & healthy environment
- Dealing with accidents & incidents
- Child protection & safeguarding children
- Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS)
- Helping children enjoy & achieve in a home based childcare setting. This includes:
- Introduction to the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
- Areas of learning and development
- Child development
- The characteristics of effective learning
- Effective planning
- Observations and assessments
- Sample policies and procedures that are easy to tailor to your childminding business
- Links to statutory documents that you will need in your new career
As soon as your coursework is marked with a passing grade by your assessor, you will be emailed a certificate with a unique certificate number. This will be accepted by Ofsted or a Childminder Agency for childminder registration.
- You have 3 months from the date of enrolment to submit your coursework. If you are unable to submit in this timeframe, you can contact us to apply for an extension. The cost will be dependent on the time requested.
- If you don’t pass first time, you will be given guidance on what you need to do to achieve success and you are given the opportunity to resubmit.
- If you don’t pass on your second submission, further attempts will incur a reassessment fee. You will be advised of this at the time your work is re-referred. Rest assured, the majority of learners pass on their first/second submission.
Comment from LH (Completed CRC April 2018)
“Course content: Outstanding; Assessor’s feedback: Outstanding“
Comment from KH (completed CRC in Sept 2017):
“Overall very very happy with the course and Childminding Matters. Such a delightful company and Julia and Wendy are always very friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble for them to help with. Couldn’t have wished for better support from them. Would highly recommend Childminding Matters! I will also be purchasing some bits from the shop. So far I have used the policies attached to the course and they were brilliant, clear and to the point! Thank you very much!“
When you purchase this course, you will start to receive monthly news roundup e-newsletters from Childminding Matters as these contain important information for your future career and will constitute part of your course resources. You are able to unsubscribe from this at any time.